TERROR IN SPAIN Barcelona attack – 13 dead and 80 injured
DEPRAVED terrorists have killed at least 13 people and injured 80 in Barcelona using a rented van which they ploughed through a busy shopping district mowing down terrified tourists.
Cops have confirmed that two men have been arrested while another suspect has reportedly been shot and killed during a gun fight with brave officers in Sant Just Desvern – a small town just outside of the Catalan capital.
Footage has emerged of terrified people being evacuated as police locked down and surrounded the area.
One of the vans involved in the deadly attack was reportedly rented by a man named as Driss Oukabir. According to local media, Oukabir is a Spanish national of North African descent.
- A white Fiat rental van careened into crowds in the iconic Las Ramblas district of Barcelona as tourists and shoppers thronged the streets at around 4pm
- The driver, described as 5ft 5in tall and wearing a blue and white striped top, was seen fleeing from the smashed van
- Authorities confirmed 13 people are dead and 80 are injured.
- Armed cops stormed the popular La Boqueria amid initial reports – which have now proved to be incorrect – of a hostage situation in a Turkish restaurant.
- Police have arrested two men and found a second rented van in the town of Vic 70km away that they believe is connected to the attack
The “massive crash” involved a white van mounting the pavement, police said as they confirmed they are treating it as a terror attack.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has said he is in contact with all authorities.
The driver of the rented Fiat van, registration 7082 JWD, ran away from on foot after the smash.
Investigators also found a SECOND van 70km away in the town of Vic that they believe is connected with the attack.
Reports say it ploughed into people outside a Kosher food shop, although this is yet to be confirmed.